When you get your clothes stained with some gasoline, one of the worst things anyone could do is to wash it off in a washing machine. The severity of this is such that the oil or gasoline soaked clothing could cause a fire or an explosion when combined together in the washing machine. However there is no necessity to panic if you are in this predicament, as the use of a few household products could help you to eliminate the gasoline smell and any stains entirely from your clothes.
The steps detailed below should be followed in order to get rid of gasoline smell from clothes
Get Rid of Gasoline Smell:
- Get an average load of clothes in the washer by washing some old garments and towels. Before you begin to wash the clothes, add a cup of baking soda and two cups of white vinegar into the water.
- Begin with a cold rinse and a considerably warm wash.
- After the washing machine has stopped spinning, open the washer and check whether the gasoline odour is still present on the towels and clothing. If the odour is still present, add some detergent and another two cups of white vinegar with a cup of baking soda
- If the gasoline stench is present even after the second spin has finished, hang the clothes and towels outside and the fresh air would help to further remove the odour. It is not advisable to use a hair dryer for this purpose due to the possibility of flammable gas fumes on the garment or towels.
- The reason for using baking soda while washing the pieces of clothing is because it helps to absorb the gasoline and neutralize the odour entirely. The whole process, mentioned above, could take around an hour to finish.Caution should be taken when washing these clothes in order to prevent the flammable gases from causing an explosion, therefore its advised to wear a respirator in order to inhibit the chances of breathing the poisonous gases. It’s also recommended to wear worker gloves in order to ensure that the gasoline does not come in contact with your bare hands.
In spite of the above precautions, gasoline residue could still get on to your hands and fingers, therefore its essential to use only household hand soap and warm water in order to scrub it out completely.
In addition to baking soda and vinegar there are several other household products and even after market items which could be used in order to get rid of the odour from the clothes, however its essential to understand that prior advise should be taken before using such products as it could cause undesirable effects on the clothes if it wasn’t used properly. Some other alternatives to baking soda and vinegar includes,
- Stain stick gel
- Liquid dish soap
- Corn flour
- Blotting paper
It should also be taken into consideration that the most preferably way to wash these clothes or other item is by either using a side loader washing machine or else by hand. The reason for which the top loader washing machine is not advised is because it increases the chances for an explosion in case something is to happen during the spin.
The reason for which only old clothes and towels were advised to be used when such garments is because of the possibility of stain marks being present on the unaffected garment after being washed with the affected clothing.