Sebaceous cysts are lumps or bumps on the skin that typically develop on the face, head, or back, among other parts of the body. They are also called epidermoid cyst or keratin cyst. They occur and, after some time, disappear by themselves. A sebaceous cyst develops when a protein known as keratin blocks a sebaceous gland.
Sebaceous cysts are often accompanied by a pungent smell since they contain yellow to clear oily substance. They might develop all around the body, with the exception of the soles of feet and palm. Sebaceous cysts usually occur on the face, breast, back, and head.
- Causes of Sebaceous Cysts
- Home Remedies to Get Rid Of Sebaceous Cyst on Face, Head, and Back
They vary in size and are mainly not harmful. They occur due to swelling of hair follicles and are not cancerous. There are several methods of treating sebaceous cyst on head, sebaceous cyst on back, or sebaceous cyst on face.
However, you should first of all understand what causes sebaceous cysts on various parts of the body.
Causes of Sebaceous Cysts
Sebaceous cysts are non-cancerous swellings or bumps on the skin, which is usually caused by a number of abnormalities in the human body. Here are some of the most common causes of sebaceous cysts on head, back, or face:
- Blocked oil/sebaceous glands
- Excessive release of testosterone hormone
- Swelling of hair follicles
- Skin trauma
- Excessive release of sebum on the surface of the skin
- Overexposure to sunlight
- An individual with a history of acne is most likely to suffer from sebaceous cysts
- Repetitive shaving and waxing
Home Remedies to Get Rid Of Sebaceous Cyst on Face, Head, and Back
Sebaceous cysts, when it develops on the skin, can look very unsightly. They often drain out bad smelling oily liquid. However, it is important to try out some effective home remedies instead of squeezing or popping a sebaceous cyst on face, back or head.
Squeezing a sebaceous cyst can also increase the risk of infection. Let’s find out the simple home remedies to get rid of a sebaceous cyst on back, face or head:
1. Hot Compress
Hot compress is one of the most effective natural treatments for sebaceous cysts and many other health concerns. A hot compress can help ease pain, and minimize swelling on the affected area. This is an easy and effective way to get rid of sebaceous cysts at home. Here are some instructions on how to perform this remedy:
• Get a washcloth and put it in a basin of hot water.
• Put the washcloth over the affected area and leave it for at least ten minutes.
• Repeat the remedy three to four times every day to improve blood circulation
• You may also consider a heating pad in place of a hot compress.
• Be sure to avoid a lot of heart as it can burn your skin and increase the risk of infection.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another great home remedy that helps to kill bacteria and reduce the risk of infection.
The acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar has incredible health and beauty benefits, including regulating PH level, making your hair glossy, removing stains, treating sunburn, boosting weight loss, eliminating fleas, easing heartburn and freshening your home, to mention but a few.
This is a great natural product that you can use to get rid of sebaceous cysts on face, head and back.
- Simply prepare some vinegar and put it directly on the affected area.
- Use a bandage to cover the area and be sure to change it regularly.
- Clear the sebaceous cyst with a clean, dry washcloth.
- Repeat this treatment every week until the sebaceous cyst disappears.
3. Castor Oil
Castor oil has been commonly used for a number of years, thanks to its amazing benefits such as treating acne, constipation, arthritis pain, hair loss, migraines, inflammation, sunburn, yeast infections, ringworms and other health problems. Here are the instructions on how to get rid of sebaceous cuts using castor oil:
- Pour some castor oil in a basin and dip a washcloth in the oil
- Apply the castor oil over the cysts and put a bandage over the area
- Be sure to repeat this treatment every day until the cyst vanishes.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is great ingredient for the skin, hair and overall health. It is commonly used to treat acne, pimples, psoriasis, wrinkles, and dandruff, as well as reducing pigmentation, curing eczema, removing dark spots or eradicating stretch marks, etc. Here are the directions for treating sebaceous cysts using aloe Vera at home:
- You can squeeze a few aloe Vera leaves and collect its juice.
- Apply the aloe Vera juice on the cyst-affected area.
- Repeat this treatment several times every day.
- Drinking ale Vera juice each day can help speed up the healing process.
Milk is a healthy food for babies, infants and adults. It contains colostrums that can help minimize the risks of a host of health problems, including sebaceous cysts. Here are the instructions for using milk as a remedy for cysts at home:
- Soak a tea bag in a bowl of milk
- Wrap the washcloth and leave it over the night
- Remove the cloth the following morning
- Repeat this treatment until the cysts disappear
- On the other hand, it is advisable to drink milk each day for improving your immune system and boosting the healing process
Traditionally, honey has been commonly used to treat wounds. It has been established that honey contains antiseptic elements that can help trigger lymphatic and phagocytic activities, which are crucial to the body’s immune system and aids in the prevention of various skin infections.
Honey can easily be applied on the affected area and left for a certain period. The cysts will eventually disappear or heal completely. On the other hand, a tablespoon of honey can be mixed with an egg white and the mixture applied over the affected area.
7. Bee Pollen
Bee pollen is another home remedy for a lot of health problems since it contains proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, vitamins and essential minerals. Just like natural honey, bee pollen can be found in certain food stores. Bee pollen has been shown to soften the skin, cure diaper rash, eczema, asthma, allergies, stomach upsets and other health problems.
- The correct way to treat sebaceous cysts with bee pollen at home is to simply take some tablespoonfuls of bee pollen each day.
- Be sure to repeat the treatment until the issue disappears.
8. Baking Soda
Baking soda is an excellent ingredient that helps to treat skin problems, improve hair color, exfoliate the skin, clean the teeth, soothe the feet, clean up sponges, clean the flowing , clean the furniture and so on. Without doubt, this is an ideal ingredient with some amazing benefits in life. To treat sebaceous cysts with baking soda, you can follow these directions:
- Mix some baking soda, salt and water into a proper paste
- Apply the mixture on the cyst-affected area
- Repeat this treatment each day until the cyst is gone
Turmeric use is also a common way to treat sebaceous cysts at home and entails oral use. Turmeric aids in purification of blood and eventually acts as a cure for the cyst.
However, this treatment is effective over time and the use of turmeric as a home remedy for sebaceous cysts should be done for a number of days. You can add turmeric to salad, milk or other liquids and take them normally.
10. Potassium Iodide
Potassium iodide is a type of salt that can safeguard the thyroid against the radioactive iodine. This home remedy can help treat a variety of health problems, including sebaceous cysts on back, hands, head, face etc. However, it is possible to suffer from allergy, rashes, stomach upsets or inflammation if you use it wrongly.
The treatment is to apply some potassium iodide on the cyst-affected area each week. It is important to check whether you are allergic to this treatment. If the skin is swollen or turning red, then you should avoid this treatment. It is, therefore, important to check if the treatment is ideal for your skin before using it on the cyst-affected area.
11. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has some great antibacterial and anti-inflammatory attributes, which aids in the healing process of the cyst. Tea tree oil has been found to be a very helpful ingredient for reducing sebaceous cysts and other skin related health problems such as pimples and acne.
12. Epsom salt
Epson salt can help prevent the bacteria that makes it is possible for cysts to develop. It is easy to use the salt. All you need to do is to add Epsom salt to your bath water and take a bath. The cysts will disappear within a short period of time.
13. Dandelion and viola
Dandelion and viola are commonly used to treat inflammation, pain, redness, swelling, carbuncles, ulcers and urinary tract infections. To treat sebaceous cysts at home, be sure to follow these simple steps:
- put a tablespoonful of dandelion and viola in some water
- Steep the mixture for at least 45 minutes
- Drink the mixture three to four times every day
- Be sure to do this each week to get rid of toxins from your body, and fight the risk of infection on the affected area.
14. Guava leaves
Guava is a fruit that mainly grows in certain Asian countries and is also widely sold in the western world. The fruit is rich in vitamin a, vitamin c, iron, calcium, copper, manganese, phosphorus, fiber, vitamin K, vitamin E and vitamin B2 to improve your overall health.
In addition, guava leaves can be used to treat diarrhea, diabetes, cancer skin problems and eye issues as well as improving the immune systems, boosting your heart and managing your thyroid health. Therefore, guava leaves are an effective home remedy for cysts. Here are the directions:
- Boil a mug of water and add guava leaves to it
- Boil the mixture for at least 15 minutes and then strain
- Apply the water to the sebaceous cyst-affected area.
- Repeat the treatment each day to minimize inflammation and itching from the cyst.
Echinacea is a type of herb that is used to treat herpes, typhoid, yeast infections, indigestion, migraines, dizziness, bee stings, burns, gum disease, wounds, ulcers, etc. In order to treat cysts at home with Echinacea, all you need to do is to steep a few leaves in water and drink the mixture twice each day to boost you immune system.
16. Witch hazel
The acerbic qualities of witch hazel can aid in treating sebaceous cysts effectively. The leaves and barks of witch hazel are good sources of tannins, which helps with eradicating the excess oils from the skins, thereby closing the pores.
In order to treat sebaceous cyst on head, face or back, you can apply some witch hazel cream or gel on the affected area. Leave it for some time for it to soak properly. Within a few days, the cysts will be gone.
17. Anti-fungal creams
Anti-fungal creams can also be effective in treating painful or severe cysts. To treat sebaceous cysts, simply apply a small amount of anti-fungal cream on the affected surface and cover it with a bandage or piece of cloth, if need be. This will help ease pain and reduce inflammation.
18. Clay tablet
Sebaceous cyst, stomach ache, acne are some of the health concerns that are caused by poor digestion. To remove the impurities from ones digestive tract, you need to take clay tablets. This will help you experience a positive effect sooner or later. After just a few days, the sebaceous cyst will shrink and vanish easily.
There are many home remedies for getting rid of sebaceous cyst on face, head and back. These remedies involve the use of natural items that are commonly found within the home and can be effectively used to treat the condition of the cyst development.
Keep in mind that the bump should not be punctured, scratched or squeezed, as doing this can inflame or irritate the bump and increase the risk for infection. Be sure to use one of these home remedies to treat your sebaceous cysts safely and effectively.
All of these home remedies can be found in the local market or online, so you can treat your cyst today!