It is very irritating when your pet is smelly. To get rid of your dog’s skunk, here are some solutions that you can adopt to get rid of it.
Getting Rid of Skunk Smell on Dog
- First of all, you should hose off your pet outside. Skunk spray is made up of a biological oil that is not unlike the oil you find floating on your soap after you boil your roast, so you will need a no tears shampoo that will cut oil.
- Put fluffy into the washtub and tie her down, preferably out in the backyard. Soak her down in white vinegar. Make sure you soak it to the skin. Protect her eyes. Rinse her off. Then take her inside for the bath.
- Put your pet in the tub of very warm but not hot water and soak her good. Soap her to lather with the shampoo and massage it in as much as you can. Rinse and repeat.
- Be patent and love her the way you did. She will hate it and you do not want to imprint this on her as if every bath will be this traumatic.
- Gather a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, quarter cup of baking soda and a couple of teaspoons of liquid soap. They work together to neutralize the odor and the soap is really more of a vehicle for you to be able to turn the solution into a shampoo.
- Take her to a groomer as soon she gets dry. They may use some deodorize for the pours of her skin and hair.
- If you still feel that your dog smells, call your vet for a recommendation of a different shampoo.
- Do not use a strong shampoo or use a no tear shampoo. Read the label carefully before buying one in order to protect your dog from tears.
- Use large washtubs or bathtubs so that you can easily give it a bath without any hassle.
- Apply a cream and rinse it to restore moisture to your dog. Do not use it while the treatment is carried on. Use it after the treatment has been completed.
- Remember to wear gloves so that he smell does not get into your hands. You may use a sponge to apply the shampoo, rub it and wash it.
- Try to keep the dog outside and prevent it from entering inside as it will create and bring smell inside your house.
- If your pet has long hair or matted fur, you may need to do a little hair trimming to eliminate some residual odor.
- You may also use commercial products that are available at pet stores as they are also helpful. But always remember not to use cheap products as they may cause irritation or even worsen the situation.
To protect your dog from this irritating smell, the above mentioned solutions may be helpful for you and may save your house as well as protect your dog from skunk.
Image courtesy : www.wikihow.com