There are lots of creatures which create everyday trouble for mankind. One such condition which has not been man’s favourite for many years is skunks. Skunks are usually harmless creatures that live in your backyards and anywhere where they can find the proper shelter but normally their usual place of residence is outside a man’s house.
They are harmless because they are omnivores and they can easily live without the flesh off human and the chances of them biting you are next to rare. But still they carry a poison which if sprayed on your body can cause you serious trouble. If not, then you can be attacked by some skunk carrying rabies which will be troubling for you cope with.
There are many ways to get rid of the skunks. Let us discuss some of them in detail.
Getting rid of the skunks
- Getting rid of skunks is not an easy job esp. if they have built a proper place of residence in the premises of your home. First and foremost thing you need to do is getting rid of the food and the material on which skunks lives on. Yes this is a very important method you need to do and this is very effective too. Not only the food you need to get rid of their shelter too because the shelter protects them and if there is no protection then the skunks would be vulnerable. Skunks usually live on berries, nuts and some other tree fruits so if you have those kind of tree in your garden then make sure you clean them up every once in a while.
- Like all the other raccoons which feed on garbage, skunks too can feed on your house’s garbage for as long as they want. So you need to get rid of your garbage properly. If you are putting your garbage in a trash can which people usually do then you ought to properly seal the garbage cans/trash cans. Not just seal them with the nominal garbage cover but you should seal it as hard as you can. These scavengers are expert at destroying your trash cans.
- You should block all the useless holes and fissures in your homes, gardens etc. That is entirely because these holes, fissures are the perfect places for skunks sheltering and these places can be an amazing breeding places for these skunks. All the hiding places under the decks, your porches and in garages should be closed off/sealed off. That is how you can protect the skunk population at your house.
- Skunks are nocturnal creatures and they cannot tolerate light so in order to repel them you need to install the bright lights in different areas of your house.
- If nothing of the above mentioned methods go well then you can always go for the animal control professionals. Try calling them and make sure you tell them all the places where skunks might be present. Animal control professionals will get rid of your problem in no time.