A tension headache is something so common that each of us must have experienced it as some point or the other. A tension headache comes along with a mild to moderate pain and can cause you to often become irritated and listless. If you suffer from frequent tension headaches, it might also affect your productivity and render you incapable of doing various basic tasks.
Often people complain that a tension headache causes them to feel pain in their eyes, neck as well as a feeling of a tight band which is enclosing their forehead. Some people suffer very few bouts of tension headaches, but some suffer from chronic headaches and this is often more common in women then in men. However the following tips will help you get rid of tension headaches.
• The first and foremost way of getting rid of a tension headache is to get rid of the trigger. For most people a trigger is often staring at a computer screen for long, or driving a lot out in the cold. If you believe any of these things trigger your headache, make sure to avoid them if you feel an episode of tension headache coming on, for a few days.
• You may try taking an over the counter pain medications like brufen or aspirin. Just make sure not to give aspirin to children under 16 years of age
• Make sure that you keep drinking lots of water throughout the day, especially in hot weather. Sometimes the only cause of a tension headache might be dehydration
• Sometimes a little shut eye is enough to get rid of a tension headache. All you have to do is to find a nice quite spot, close the lights and take a nap for half an hour. A headache which is caused by tension would slowly and surely be gone after this little nap.
• You can try inhaling a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil paired with peppermint oil in a diffuser. This will help calm you down and release some of your tension.
• Ask someone to press your neck. Often a tension headache can cause a pain in the neck area as well. Massaging the neck and head will greatly help relieve the symptoms of a tension headache. A massage is therapeutic and a great way to relieve any sort of tension.
• Take a few deep breaths. The steady stream of oxygen to your system will help relieve any sort of pain faster
• If you suffer frequent bouts of tension headaches, you might try practicing yoga or meditation to balance out your headaches, since too many medicines might cause you to become addicted and is not beneficial for you in the long run
• Often a strong cup of tea or coffee will help get rid of that tension headache. Since both contain caffeine, a little bit can help you go a long way.
• You can also practice natural techniques which will help you feel relaxed. These might include yoga, meditation, and prayer.
• Often the above practices can be tried all together. A medication along with a cup of warm tea and a little shut eye will banish that tension headache away for good!