Food Poisoning is a common illness generally caused by contaminated food. Contaminated food contains various bacteria, viruses and parasites. The most common causes of food poisoning are these infectious organisms or their toxins. Unclean hands, kitchen and incorrect handling of food can also cause food poisoning. Common symptoms of food poisoning are discomfort, abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, and fever. Some cases of food poisoning are mild and improve on their own within 48 hours without treatment. But some are severe and can even be life-threatening.
It is good to know some of the methods by which you can get rid of food poisoning and be healthy. Let us see them
Getting Rid of Food Poisoning
• First thing you need to do to get rid of food poisoning is to drink plenty of water. Water hydrates your body and makes your urination process normal. Normal urination process (while your urine is clear) removes toxins from your body that cause food poisoning. If you cannot drink plenty of water together, you should take little sips. An adult should drink at least 8 to 12 glasses of water everyday.
• Oral rehydration powder is an excellent solution for the problem of food poisoning which eventually causes dehydration. You can purchase oral rehydration power from your nearest pharmacy. You can also make your own rehydration solution by mixing half teaspoon salt, four tablespoon sugar and baking soda in one liter water.
• Take required amount of rest to get rid of food poisoning quickly. As a result of vomiting and diarrhea, your body gets dehydrated and you may feel week. So, plenty of rest can give you some comfort.
• Do not take dairy products, fatty and highly seasoned foods, greasy and oily foods, alcohol, nicotine, caffeine etc. because most of the foods mentioned here are not easy to digest. Give your stomach some time to cope up with the situation.
• Though you will loose appetite at this time, you need to take calories and eat easily digestible foods such as plain rice, toast, banana, soda crackers, gelatin etc. to get rid of the problem. Easily digestible foods will give your body the energy to fight with food poisoning without harming your digestive system. If you do not take them you will only make your condition worse.
• You can take probiotic. Probiotics contain some good bacteria which improve your capacity of digesting food and also make a balance in the digestive system. These also help to treat the symptoms of food poisoning. You should not take antibiotics for the common causes of food poisoning.
• Never stop or change your medicines, if you are taking some without consulting your doctor.
• Anti-diarrheal medicines will slow the elimination of toxins from your digestive system which are causing food poisoning. It will be a wise decision not to take these medicines. But if your diarrhea gets worse, you can have them by consulting a doctor.
• As food poisoning can even cause death, you should hospitalize the patient if he/ she has high fever along with vomiting and diarrhea for two days. If you have a temperature over 101.5 F and if you see blood while vomiting, you should immediately go to a doctor. You can also consult a doctor from the very beginning when you see the symptoms of food poisoning. This step will ensure that your condition will not get worse with time and it is very necessary for your safety.