There is no true way to remove split ends, aside from cutting your hair, but you can take care of your hair and prevent their return. The scientific name given to them is Trichoptilosis, a longitudinal splitting of the hair fiber.
Getting Rid of Split Ends
- First of all, you can remove them. After identifying that you have split ends, cut them using a hair shears even if you are cutting a strand. Do not use regular scissors which will even destroy your hair.
- Another solution is to get a haircut regularly, meaning every six to eight weeks. This is because all hair get damaged after a while. Get them trimmed which will solve the problem.
- Do not rely on the products that are available in the market and claim to heal split ends. They might seal the split end to give it a healthier look but in real they are not reversing the damage. These products can damage the beauty of your hair in the future.
- Avoid getting in the environment that includes chemicals which are going to damage your hair to some extent. Chemicals from getting a perm, having your hair highlighted, colored etc, or even chlorine in baths or pool water can damage them.
- Protect your hair before swimming in a pool, ocean or lake. Use a leave in conditioner, hair oil or use a swim cap. Shampoo your hair after swimming as soon as possible.
- Find out that the water you are using is harmful to your hair or not. Damaging chemicals can be present in the water that you are using to wash them.
- Many people do not realize just how fragile the ends of our hair are. Being too rough with a brush or comb, or brushing or combing too often can damage your hair.
- Stop teasing or back combing your hair. This is the most damaging type of brushing. It pulls up the scales of your hair and when you comb or brush that section again the scales break off.
- Find and get hold of a hair friendly comb and/or brush. If you have thicker hair you may need to use a pick or wide toothed comb. Combs in general are gentler than your common brush. Your brush or comb should aid you in untangling your hair, not pulling it out.
- Protect your hair from the sun. Ultraviolet rays can be as damaging to your hair as your skin. Wear hat when you go out.
- Drink lots and lots of water and make sure you are using the right quality products.
- Never brush your hair when it is wet. Use a fine toothed comb instead.
- Do not put any shampoo on the ends or your air which will make them dry and do not put any conditioner on your scalp which will make it oilier.
- If you have bad split ends throughout your hair, consider using a good quality hair serum which will be helpful for all hair and for all hair problems.
These are some solutions that can help you sort out the problem.
Image courtesy : www.orthofill.com